Summer months give kids an important opportunity to read for complete enjoyment, and research demonstrates that children who don't read during the summer can lose up to three months of reading progress. One way to encourage kids' reading all summer is to visit the ROE LIBRARY online to explore a range of helpful reading resources, including a selection of summer reading lists. Information about reading incentive programs and recommendations for online children’s e-books & learning sites are located there too.
Weblist -- 2012 Summer Learning Interactives
Bright Ideas for Summer - ReadWriteThink
ROE Summer Reading Information
Students will soon bring home a Summer Reading HISD ‘Millionaire Club’ Ticket & Flier. They can record books that are read over vacation, and in August, return the completed signed ticket to the ROE Library. Each student will receive a special bookmark to recognize their efforts. There will also be a prize drawing from all the completed signed tickets! Learn more about other great local reading incentive programs @ ROE Library online, including…
- HISD Millionaire Club Readers: Read & log 10 books & earn a special bookmark of your choice in September at the ROE Library.
- Houston Public Library: Read 10 Books—get 1 free book! Read 20 Books—get 1 free book & voucher for a free ticket to a Houston Astros game & a coupon for the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus.
- Barnes & Noble: Read 8 Books & get 1 free. Record books in downloadable journal.
- H.E.B: Read 10 Books and mail in for a T-Shirt.
- Half Price Books: Read 600 minutes and earn a $5 Back-to-School Bucks reward.